Overview of Moving Up
The transition to secondary school marks a significant phase of a young person’s life. Despite this, it affects them in sometimes unexpected ways. What we do know – change can be challenging. The Department for Children, Schools, and Families state that “induction, taster days and visits appear to improve the transition experience for children” (DCSF- RR019, 2008). 2engage want to connect with likeminded, forward-thinking organisations looking for practical ways to ease the transition between schools for young people. Outreach and Widening Participation programmes across the country provide young people with a range of interactive, fun and engaging activities. ‘Moving Up’ seeks to support this and ease the transition using the power of theatre and storytelling.
- Highlight the positive aspects of transition.
- Dispel myths on bullying, scary teachers, homework, getting lost and other common fears.
- Exemplify how to make a good first impression, make new friends and develop coping strategies.
- Explore the emotions and situations a year 7 pupil may experience.
- Improve pupils’ motivation to learn and their attitude towards education.
- Celebrating achievements and setting high aspirations and goals
- Change and transitions
- Understanding increased independence and responsibility
- Asking for help
- Listening and responding to a wide range of people