Overview of Moving Up
Positive transition can improve the lives of young people. The Department for Children, Schools and Families state that “induction, taster days and visits appear to improve the transition experience for children” (DCSF- RR019, 2008). 2engage want to connect with likeminded, forward-thinking organisations looking for practical ways to ease the transition between schools for young people. Outreach and Widening Participation programmes across the country provide young people with a range of interactive, fun and engaging activities. ‘Moving Up’ seeks to support this and ease the transition using the power of theatre and storytelling.
- Highlight the positive aspects of transition.
- Dispel myths on bullying, scary teachers, homework, getting lost and other common fears.
- Exemplify how to make a good first impression, make new friends and develop coping strategies.
- Explore the emotions and situations a year 7 pupil may experience.
- Improve pupils’ motivation to learn and their attitude towards education.
- Celebrating achievements and setting high aspirations and goals
- Change and transitions
- Understanding increased independence and responsibility
- Asking for help
- Listening and responding to a wide range of people