Choices – GCSE Options
Deciding year 9 options can be a daunting task for students. For many it is their first big educational decision to make and can seem overwhelming. The PSCHE curriculum states that pupils need to “identify own strengths, interests, skills and qualities as part of the personal review and planning process, including their value to future employability”. We start the conversation about pupils’ future. Away from the compulsory core subjects, many schools differ in regards to what subject choices are on offer for students. ‘Choices’ is a hugely popular show which can adapt to fit any school provision and gives audiences a good overall perspective on how to make positive and informed choices for themselves.
Rob and Danielle are in year 9 and both have to decide what GCSE options to take. Time is running out and they have a big decision to make. Who will they follow; teachers, parents, older siblings or their own gut feelings? Join them as they separate the truth from the myths and meet some very ‘interesting’ characters along the way as they start to plan out their future career path and pick the right choice for them.
- Encourage a greater understanding of post-14 options.
- Widen participation in higher education.
- Motivate young people to consider the future and possible careers.
- Support KS3 learners to make a well-informed and realistic decision.
- Signpost sources of advice.
PSCHE Core themes that this programme covers:
Health and Well-being
- Recognising personal strengths and how they affect self-confidence and self-esteem
- Recognising personal qualities, attitudes, skills, how they are affected by others
- Accepting helpful feedback and rejecting unhelpful criticism
- Qualities, behaviours and features of positive relationships
- Developing communication skills
Living in the Wider World
- Changes young people are facing
- Increasing independence
- Equipping with skills for future opportunities and challenges
- Managing influence of peers
- Addressing the challenges of effective learning
- Active contribution to society
”The students seemed enthralled by the performance and the humour. They will remember the day much more clearly because of it. Of the 179 pupils who attended both outreach days, 97% either agreed or strongly agreed that [Choices] was useful, engaging and interesting.”
”Both staff and students thought ‘Choices’ was fantastic, it was obviously well-received and made an impact on the whole year group. I would certainly recommend this production”
At A Glance
|Age Group:||Years 8 -9|
|Key Stage:||Key Stage 3|
|Follow-up Workshop:||Available, please contact for more details.|
|Key Themes:||WELL-INFORMED DECISIONS, CAREER PATHWAYS, CAREERS ADVICE, GCSE, HOPES, FEARS, GCSE OPTIONS, EDUCATION PATHWAYS|